Welcome to the Subjects guide! As an admin, correctly managing your community content is important. This guide will show you how to create subject types and subjects and how to add subjects to your content.
Subjects are used for categorizing your content and letting your community users select their interests.
Creating Subject types and Subjects
Each subject also has a type which are called 'Subject Types'. To start creating subjects you first have to create a new subject type. The following example will guide you step-by-step on how to do this:
- Open your admin dashboard and go to the 'Subjects' page by clicking on the corresponding menu item on the left.
- On the subjects page, click the 'Add new subject type' button. A new dialog pops up that let's you enter a subject type name and the community order. This order is used to sort your subject types on the search and select interests pages in your community. You can update this order by going to the 'Community Order' tab. When done filling in the name and setting the community order, click the 'Add' button to create the subject type.
- Now you have created a new subject type. Let's say you named it 'Sector'. The next step is to add some subjects! To do this click on 'Add subject' button that appears when you hover over the just created subject type.
- A dialog will appear where you can set the name, description and a standardised code for your subject. A good subject could be for example: 'Agriculture'. When done filling in the subject info, click the 'Add' button to create the subject.
You now have created a new subject type called 'Sector' with a subject called 'Agriculture'.
Adding subjects to your content
Now that you know how to add subjects to your community, you can start adding them to your content. For example, you already created an event to your community called 'World Farming Expo'. Let's say you want to categorize this event under the subject 'Agriculture'. The following steps are needed for this:
- Go to the update page of your event. When you scroll down, you wil find the section called: 'Select one or more subjects'.
- From there click on a subject type to reveal the attached subjects. So in this example you click on the type 'Sector' and then the subject 'Agriculture'.
- To save your selection, simply click the 'Save event' button on the bottom of the page.
That's it! Your event is now categorized under the selected subject. To check if you did it right, go to search page of your community and check out the filters in the left side menu. Your subject type and subject should appear and when clicked will show the 'World Farming Expo' event.
Selecting interests as a community user
Besides your content, subjects are also used for when a user selects their interests. When a user goes to the 'Select interests' page a list of your created subject types and subjects will show up.
We're happy to help you with any questions you might have, and are always available through the blue chat icon at the bottom-right of your screen, or click on the Chat with us button.